Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Scene and Believed Dress

This dress is one of my all-time favorites.  I stalked it when it appeared as part of the "Be The Buyer" feature on ModCloth.com (and of course voted yes on it!)  and since I was engaged at the time and spending odds and ends on the wedding preparations I wasn't able to purchase it when it first became available.  However, it popped up again after the wedding, and since Daniel and I agreed upon using a small amount of our wedding money to get ourselves a gift- well, this was mine!   I certainly love and treasure it, and it reminds me of the special commitment I made to Daniel almost a year a half ago now, and of course the generosity of my wonderful family and friends!
Before this dress, I was shamefully unaware of Bernie Dexter, her amazing pin-up career and her adorable clothing collection.  Her prints are so beautiful, timeless, and unique.  It is the perfect merging of retro design meets feminine fit and craftsmanship.  This dress really hits everything in the right spot.  The only thing I would ever change about it might be the length, usually this length isn't the most flattering on me, but with a print like this- I can easily overlook that!

  Seriously girls, if you dig a retro design and fit, Bernie Dexter is for you!  I love her designs since I have a smaller waist and bigger hips, and a lot of her dresses are a fit and flare shape.    However, they are on the expensive side, so they are more of a special occasion purchase.  This is the only one I own, but I seriously have my eye on "Jenna's Field Good Dress" and the "I'm all Cheers in Cherries Jubilee" Dress, so cute!

     In other news- I am currently doing a 30 Day Art Challenge called "Fun A Day" where I will be doing a piece of art work every day for 30 days in April and I will be displaying them in May at the Wilmington, Delaware Art Loop.  I am super excited, and am only on Day 3 but am already feeling so much more creative and productive!  The theme I chose is "30 Days of Insects" so each piece of art work will incorporate my favorites (Butterflies, Moths, Beetles, Dragonflies, flies, and bees) in a variety of mediums such as illustration, painting, collage, and sculpture.  I am super excited because this project is a chance to really get me working with two of my passions again (art and entomology!).  I have a long term dream of illustrating and screen-printing insects unto pillows, curtains, and dresses so hopefully this will give me that push to start working with it and gaining more experience with drawing.  I will have to post some pictures when I have more pieces done!  


Hope you are all having a wonderful week! 
xo, 
Alyssa

26 comments:

  1. Gasp! What a beautiful shoot! I absolutely adore how the nature around you mirrors the print of your dress so wonderfully-it's as if your dress is part of the reflection on the water. How lovely. I love the special meaning behind it too-what a great reminder of your special day! Thanks for the lipstick tip also, I'll have to check out that company! I'm always looking for more ecological and natural alternatives )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah, I remember this dress! I wanted it SO badly, and yeah, the price is what held me back but... I would definitely buy it if I had the chance and money. It looks SO good on you, Alyssa. So good! It's colorful, has flowers... I mean, it is basically Alyssa in dress form, am I right?

    And I agree with Katie--how you took this set of pictures in nature like this is just stunning and compliments this outfit so well. The reflections are gorgeous! I really would love to steal this outfit from you, tights, necklace, and all <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyssa! I remember when that dress first came out. One of my readers wore it for her birthday. It looks gorgeous on you! I'll try and find her link and post it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is sooooo amazing! I want one, looks amazing on you and you have amazing eyes!


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing post!love your dress, it is so cuuuuute!
    I just found your blog and I love it!great content and lay out!
    check my blog if you want and maybe we could follow each other :)
    xoxo

    www.fashionrailways.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have wanted this dress forever! I think it looks so pretty on you and seeing this post makes me want it even more :). You are too adorable! Good luck with your 30 day challenge, sounds like fun!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I see this dress on Modcloth's site, I sigh a little because it's so darn beautiful...I dream of someday owning it, too! It looks so lovely on you though <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I've been eyeing it on modcloth, too.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress looks wonderful on you. What an awesome incredible print.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohmygosh, that modcloth dress! i have been wanting it for so long! ah, you were meant for it!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE how you styled this dress so beautiful and wonderful setting!
    xo Ilana @ My Modern Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I seriously adore you!! :) I kept seeing your outfits on Modcloth's Style Gallery and fell in love with your style. And then you left me such a sweet comment! I can tell we're going to be really great friends. :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dress is so absolutely stunning and suits you so well. Thumbs up!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is so incredible! I can see why you wanted it so bad! It was definitely worth the wait! The print is just fantastic! Good luck with your art challenge sounds really fun and exciting!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. that dress makes me feel so happy! love how you pair it with blue stockings <3

    would you like to follow each other?
    http://only4feet9.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such an incredible dress! Love your colourful style and I am really glad I have discovered your blog!
    New follower!

    Hugs,
    The Hearabouts

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love retro dresses, I always find them much more flattering. ♥ It's really beautiful!

    Abigail
    www.deardaffodils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy moly amazing dress! Somehow, I don't remember seeing this one - but if I had, I would surely have tired to snag it up. The colors and print and cut are just incredible. I'm a fan of the fit and flare too...I have an hourglass shape, so naturally that cut looks best on my figure. I love how the dress has a special memory attached to it too - those are the pieces you hold onto forever :-)

    That art challenge sounds like so much fun!

    xo Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dress is perfect on you, lovin' the collar! And the location is great too, very artistic indeed - love it!

    <3 Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This dress is the most amazing thing ever! I absolutely love the pretty print and the fit is perfect. I definitely think the length is flattering on you! You could wear it in an office environment if you wanted and it would be long enough. I'm short and I usually find that anything that hits at or above the knee will be flattering. Anyway, you look gorgeous! Such pretty colors in this outfit as always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool patterned dress! It fits your unique style perfectly--I can see why you love it! Those photos in the woods are gorgeous. I love your pretty hair band too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I've always loved this dress and it looks like it was made for you! I'm glad you were able to spend some of your wedding money on it, it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dress is beautiful and was meant to be in your closet! How great that you have the memory of your wedding attached to it too! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I aspire to someday own a bernie dexter dress...this outfit is beautiful!! Caught my eye in the modcloth style gallery. Love your colorful style!

    -Emma from littlemotley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, beautiful dress. Love your style hun x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love, love the tights with this dress!

    ReplyDelete